Re: [SLUG-POL] Reply and test

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 14:40:35 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> (Something's funky here with the Reply-To's, I think, so this is a test.
> And a reply.)
>
> > Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:26:07 -0400
> > From: Norbert Cartagena <niccademous@yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Re: [SLUG-POL] PETA (continued)
> >
> > Yeah, if you're one of those crazies that also doesn't mind having
> > arsenic in your water supply. And actually, cows and chickens are fed
> > the leftover parts of other cows and chickens (yup, forced cannibalism),
> > which is what spreads Mad Cow, for example.
>
> Arsenic: What does eating chickens and cows have to do with arsenic in
> the water supply? Also, the arsenic levels are _not_ as bad as they are
> made out to be by the environmentalist wackos. Repeat after me: junk
> science.
>
> Cannibalism: Your statement gives the impression that this is all or
> even a majority of what cows and chickens are fed. Not true. The "forced
> cannibalism" comment also implies that cows and chickens feel bad about
> this. They don't. This is anthropomorphizing animals, and serves mainly
> to engender sympathy for them, but has no place in serious arguments.
>
> It's true that body parts do find their way into animal feed. This is a
> byproduct of large-scale animal feed processing. It could and should be
> lessened, you are correct.
>
> I've heard a lot of junk science about mad cow. Apparently, the agent
> responsible is essentially a protein. But proteins do not
> self-replicate. So I'm not sure this isn't a bogus claim.
>
> Paul

You know, I could reply to this with enough evidence to spin you head,
but right now I'm too busy with Finals (hey, I'm almost done with
college, almost at the point of graduating Cum Laude, I don't wanna blow
it). Can we put this off 'till about next Tuesday (week&1/2 from now)?

By the way, anything about 5ppb (parts per billion) is too much.

Norb