Re: [SLUG-POL] True Story - example of the lunatic state of California

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 14:01:39 EDT

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:13:07PM -0400, Isaiah Weiner wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 12:04:07PM -0400, Norb wrote:
> > Good images, but damn frightening technologies. What happens if they
> > start doctoring thing over, say, in Ybor? I know the tech's not QUITE
> > there, but as you can see from the photos, it's getting damn close.
> >
> > What do y'all think?
>
> I remember thinking after seeing, A Bug's Life, "Where will this be in
> a year?" Shrek and FF are the answer (I've seen both, and in FF I forgot
> it was CG at a couple points). So I ask the question again, "Where will
> this be in a year?"
>
> CPU cycles are cheaper than ever.

I suppose we could get to a point where you could have "real"
animations. But like anything else, it depends on the use.

There was some whining from actors about Final Fantasy, worrying about
"doctoring" the performances of actors in the future (and I'm sure the
unspoken fear of being replaced). Comical. Drummers whined the same way
about drum machines replacing them, and it hasn't happened. Even if you
could mimic the nuances of Richard Dreyfuss or Sean Connery, why would
you want to? And look what happened when the world found out the Monkees
didn't play their own instruments.

The more frightening aspect is the fact that facial recognition systems
are being used to filter criminal faces out of crowds at all. Normally,
I think privacy is overrated, but this is too Big Brother-ish. Would I
be detained based on the use of face recognition systems? Doubtful; I've
never been arrested. And would it be a good thing to capture criminals
on the run? Sure. But I don't think this is the way to go about it.
Fortunately or unfortunately, the Constitution says nothing about
privacy, only about unreasonable search and seizure. And if this ever
gets tested in court, that's what they may use.

Someone on the radio here has mentioned repeatedly that the use of face
recognition systems depends on who's in power; evil men in power could
use it for their own ends. While we may consider that unlikely, it's
similar to things that have been done before.

Paul