Re: [SLUG-POL] True Story - example of the lunatic state of California

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 23:10:37 EDT

[The list distribution is lagging greatly -- My post at 22:18
just appeared at 22:50 -- Smitty's took 53 minutes to deliver
on the outbound hop]

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Smitty wrote:

> > I'll start a service -- Ask offlist where to send cash
> > subscription fees. I enjoy running down the primary
> > sources.
>
> You have not presented any evidence to refute the posting.

Smitty, even stipulating that the author believed every word,
unlike your last 'lunatic state of California' thread starter,
this does not imply a lack of observance of the legal
formalities -- 'Due Process', if you will, as required of the
states by the federal 14th Amdt. -- by the California state
employees.

I see no recitation of the filing of a lawsuit asserting such
improper conduct; no neutral reporter's conclusion of
impropriety; indeed, no provision by you of a source link for
your quoted material. What 'evidence' has been presented
beyond some hear-say, and unverified assertions?

I _hope_ that the entry was completed without serious bodily
harm to anyone. But to remain in a society of Ordered
Liberty, the author has to choose -- Observe the results of
Law -- starting at the federal Constitution and flowing on
down to the delegation of governmental authority down to say,
regulation of the hieght of decorative fences in a local
suburb -- or -- Assert that the author is outside the law --
an "Out-law" one might say. But an Outlaw cannot expect
anything but rough justice at the whim of a stronger force.

This is one danger of an 'a la carte' approach to 'choosing'
what laws one will subject oneself to. With no third-party
referee to 'call the fouls', the 'a la carte' "Free Citizen"
is really asserting that NO laws apply to him- or her-self.

The California taxing agents, the Golden State Assembly which
passed them, the Court system which is available to review the
actions of each, and ultimately the federal Supreme Court make
up that system of 'referees.'

> > -- There is no denying it. It's entertaining. Kooky sounding
> > stuff always is ... but real people get hurt believing and
> > acting on these fantasies
>
> The fantasies are your own. "Kooky sounding" is an opinion, not an
> expression of fact.

... ahhh, but I do not purport that I am doing anything but
acting as a 'Devil's Advocate,' selling smoke and mirrors --
The PETA folk were in Columbus today -- they were able to
muster 4 people in all of Ohio and Pennsylvania to show up and
demonstrate at the 'Wendy's # 1' Original store. I was
thinking of assembling a anti-vegan tract.

This is, after all, the "All fight, no rules" list -- although
I hope you'll drink a virtual beer ad the end of the evening
with me.

> > A deer hunting buddy of mine ended up in Bankruptcy
> > Court, his 16 employees [an independent oil well drilling
> > company] thrown out of work after an IRS levy (wholly
> > justified), after he relied on these 'no 16th Amdt' snake oil
> > sellers.
>
> The IRS has broken the law and still breaks the law. They use the force of
> violence to do it. Nothing they do is "wholly justified".

"Nothing" ? There must have been a sale on superlatives and
absolutes today. There is the old saw: "No generalization is
worth a d*mn, including this one."

Are you asserting that the collection of, say, the $200 Class
III weapons transfer tax, or the former federal $1 per $1000
Real Estate conveyancing tax, each an excise type tax, is
somehow unlawful?

-- Russ