Re: [SLUG-POL] Re: [svlug] PPTP? (fwd)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 23:23:09 EDT

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 06:22:32PM -0400, Isaiah Weiner wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 02:48:40PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:04:10PM -0400, Isaiah Weiner wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:29:19AM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> > > >

> > <snip>

> > > Power moves westward? :)
> >
> > Obviously not, since you've got big shortages. (I couldn't resist!) ;-}
>
> Nice! It's funny, I've yet to be in a district that was actually
> turned off.

Heh heh. I suspect the problem is less severe than it's made out to be
by the press. Not that there isn't a problem, but I haven't heard of,
for instance, all of SFO or all of SAC going dark. From what I've heard,
it's just certain areas of certain cities. Of course, that doesn't help
the poor schmuck whose A/C kicks off during the blackout. And if you
live in SFO, you don't _need_ an air conditioner. ;-}

I recently read some propaganda^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^literature from APC, and
they say that Southern California (LA) has plenty of generating
capacity, but the transmission lines to the north are inadequate to
transmit the power to other places where it's needed. So they have fewer
blackouts there. Wish I'd saved the magazine; it was pretty informative.

Paul