Re: [SLUG-POL] MS-UUID -- MS Serial numbers

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 19:46:40 EDT

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Paul M Foster wrote:

> > The UUID is located 9400 bytes from the start of the file, and is a
> > HEX ASCII identifier which specifies the downloader's beta test ID and
> > the IP address they're downloading from.

> And we think Microsoft _won't_ implement software-disabling code in
> future versions of XP? Riiiight.

,,, Actually, the thought I has was, in recently upgrading a
customer's install, the update also insisted on down loading a
'small' **updated** version of the 'Installer' itself. I
presume it was pusning a patch to permit encoded
bi-directional branding of content and configuration (incl,
e.g., UUID) information.

I presume that code is already present, but encrypted with a
public key encode, which will be acivated when the Giant from
Redmond, wishes to push out a site specific encoded (say by
UUID) unlocking private key ...

Remember 'Windows ain't done, 'til Lotus won't run ..." That
was back when Lotus was a spreadsheet, and not a PIM/email
collaboaration tool. Win 3.1 days ...

-- Russ