[SLUG-POL] Dell pushing computers

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato513@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 00:40:28 EDT

Hi all,
        I hope and pray that all of you who had friends or relatives in New York
are well. My prayers are with you.
        I received a call tonite from Dell. They were offering me a computer for
$99.00. It was a Celeron 800Mhx, 64 M ram, 48x CD with Windows ME. I
asked them if it was Linux compatible. Then had no idea what I was talking
about. The original caller went and got her supervisor. He asked what I
needed to know to go for the deal. I explaned that I needed a machine that
was Linux (in my case Mandrake) compatible. He assured me it was. Then
the killer, is the modem a real modem with controller on board or was it a
winmodem. Again he assured me I could use the modem in Linux. The real
kicker was the 36 month contract with Earthlink at 29.99 a month. I
declined the offer. The sales person then stated that they would ship me
the machine - minus the windows software - and began to tell me about all
the extra's that came with it. Extras were more software programs all
windows compatible. She still didn't get it. I did and firmly declined
it. Is Dell getting desparate or just unloading a lot of low end machines
with winblows on it.