Re: [SLUG-POL] Alright, I'm here ...

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 09:57:36 EDT

> You know, that's part of the problem with many
> Americans today. They see
> their car, their house, their job as the most
> important things on Earth.
> But there are things as or more important than one's
> own or one's
> family's safety, security and comfort. They seem to
> think that what they
> do and say have no effect on the broader zones of
> activity. So long as
> they get theirs, all is good. Honor, principles and
> patriotism seem to
> have gotten lost.

Now, Paul, if you could just apply to this
Environmental issues as well, then you'd understand
where I come from ;)

"They seem to think that what they do and say have no
effect on the broader zones of activity. So long as
they get theirs, all is good."

But question: The family safety issue, is that NOT why
we fight for freedom? To guarantee the safety of the
family?

> I heard a story today about a newly promoted Chief
> Petty Officer who
> went to a restaurant in San Diego with some friends
> (all in uniform)
> before being deployed. As he and his friends got up
> to leave, people in
> the restaurant began clapping. In a short time, all
> the patrons were on
> their feet. I heard this on the way home, and had to
> wipe my eyes so I
> could continue driving. I still choke up as I think
> of it again. _This_
> is the spirit of America that should prevail, even
> when there isn't a
> crisis.

Frankly, I'm _GLAD_ that I'm not the only one making a
fool of myself when I go up to someone in military
uniform and tell them "Thanks" anymore. I mean,
granted, I'm not a big fan of the military. This is
because I'm not a big fan of war - I understand it's
an unfortunate necessary evil at this point in human
history. I just wish that people would remember that
we are NOT at war against the Afghans, but rather that
we are at war with terrorism and those that support
it. I say this because I've heard the wish of some to
see a new lake in the map - "Lake Afghanistan". Where
we could make a glorious military build up and show of
force. GIVE ME A BREAK! I wish I could have explained
to this person to think of it this way:

Ussama bin Muhammed bin Laden => Hitler
The Taliban => The Nazis
The Afghan people => The Jews.

(rolls played a bit different than the original cast)

This was explained to me by an Afghan friend who
supported us in what we did, but was saddened that
people would think that the Afghan people had
something against the US.

Norb

=====
~ Good evening, Mr. Gates