Re: [SLUG-POL] And don't even get me started on the environment

From: Isaiah Weiner (iweiner@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 17:32:37 EDT

    During what time of year? Right now, sure, the area about San
Francisco is brown. I live in San Jose, and every weekend I drive
*somewhere* in the state of California to go hiking and take pictures.
I've been here since April, and during that time I've seen the transition
from gorgeous green, full of life, to brown and desolate. The brown is
mostly grass dying. If you look all over the central valley, where it's
even hotter, you see brown grass and green trees. Another thing, SFBA is
only the bottom portion of the upper third of the state. While it's
"Northern California", it's not exceptionally north.

    San Diego, one of the four largest cities in the nation, itself is not
a desert, mainly from over a hundred years of irrigation in the surrounding
areas, affecting the ecosystem and slighting alterring the rainfall for
that area, pulling it out of desert status (which is defined by rainfall
per year). There is desert north of it, but I suspect since you saw SF as
brown, you were looking at a photography taken in the late summer.

    It's worth noting my area got its first storm (and rain) of the season
last night. By December things will be green again. There are levies in
the SFBA to prevent the land from flooding. Hardly a desert, by ANY
definition.

--
    - Isaiah