[SLUG-POL] Off to today's pigskin ...

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 11:25:50 EDT

I see USF has UConn today. You should kick their butts. The
USAToday Sagarin ratings would have you favored by at least 15.
UConn couldn't beat half the I-AA teams out there.

I'm off to my UCF game. We are playing some little crap I-AA
school, Liberty, although a 7-6 loss to them back in 1995 kept us
out of the I-AA playoffs in our last year of I-AA (when most
predicted we would win it all). Time for a little payback, Saragin
has us favored by ~40!

As such, USF is lucky it is going into a conferrence next year.
It's getting harder and harder for UCF to schedule teams as an
independent, especially since we are now the #1 independent -- being
that Norte Dame is having issues, especially since our schedule rank
to date was just as hard as theirs (again, according to the Sagarin
ratings). During half-time against Nebraska in 1997, when we are
leading them 17-14, Virgina called our athletic office to cancel all
our future meetings. By that weekend, almost a half dozen others
cancelled all future meetings as well.

We've never recovered since. We played 3 I-AA schools last year
and, while we only play 1 this year, we play 2 next year. Not good
since the NCAA may soon require I-A schools to play at least 5 home
games against I-A opponents. UCF barely gets 5 home games each
year, period. And when we actually get I-A opponents, it's either
one of the Sun Belt Louisianna teams, or the MAC. While we might
have whipped Mid-Tennesse State a couple years ago, and told them
"no thanks" to joining the Sun Belt Conference, but they are sure
getting a lot of coverage, even if the conference ranks worse than a
few I-AA conferences.

So only people talking to us are the MAC. We don't like to play in
cold weather. Plus, while Daunte Culpepper may have been 12-0
against MAC teams, UCF hasn't been as good since he left (I used to
remember when we actually got 20-25 place AP votes!).

-- TheBS
   UCF '97

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413