[SLUG-POL] NYTimes says UCF better than FSU, ranked 35 v. 46

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 14:14:55 EDT

Found this to be _very_interesting_!

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/15/sports/ncaafootball/1014COLLEGE-RANKINGS.html
[ Free registration required ]

It is a 100% pure computer ranking. The NYTimes started doing it
recently as they differ heavily from many of the other rankings out
there. UCF, ranked #35 in the NYTimes' computer, lost only by 8-11
points or less to teams ranked in the teens/low-20s (#16 Clemon and
#22 Syracuse -- let alone our defense held them to 21 points a
piece), whereas FSU is #46 having lost handily to teams ranked in
the teens (#14 North Carolina and #17 Miami) by 20-37 (let alone
didn't play anyone rank as high as UCF did, like #4 Virginia Tech)
-- hence the computer's reasoning. I have always contested that
Miami and FSU were overranked this year and the NYTimes seems to
agree, and every ranking I've seen says UCF has had a harder
schedule too.

Supposedly there is an associated article (which costs money to
view, and I could only see the headline which doesn't give much
info) talking about how the new Tangerine Bowl, the original name of
the Citrus Bowl that will now host two bowl, might feature Florida
State and UCF. The new Tangerine Bowl pits #4 ACC v. #5 Big East.
The NYTimes is predicting FSU will finish #4 in ACC (interesting).
And it is highly unlikely that #5 Big East will qualify for a bowl
(six I-A wins), so they will go with an "at large" team. If that is
so, you can bet UCF will be at or near the top of that list, since
it is where we play at home!

Again, if anyone gets the print NYTimes (or has the "paid" on-list
subscription), please let me know if there was an article in the
15th or 16th of this month talking about this.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org   chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org