Re: [SLUG-POL] (FWD) [Fwd: Teacher's union bosses seek revenge on borrowed money]

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 03:05:41 EDT

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> > 1) Our government funded and controlled education system WAS NOT
> > designed to create well educated citizens. We had better educated
> > citizens before the inception of mandatory schooling.
>
> Not sure I agree. Prior to government schooling, there were likely many
> many people who only made it through the first few grades, and so were
> not well educated at all.

'only made it through the first few grades' !=
'not well educated at all'

In my ancestor line are pioneers who helped establish the
first library in the Northwest Territory ('The Coonskin
Library' in Ames Twp, Ohio), and I learned to read on McGuffey
readers long before I saw the inside of a schoolhouse.

http://publications.ohiohistory.org/ohstemplate.cfm?
        action=detail&Page=002665.html&StartPage=58&
        EndPage=77&volume=26&newtitle=Volume%2026%20Page%2058

(you know the drill) Christopher is my 5x great-grandfather

Indeed, SLUG, and SLUG-POL are at least as educational as most
(if not all) of what I've learned at a government mandated
institution.

I've taught at Scouts, and in 'Sunday School' much more
relentlessly and intensely than a government compensated
teacher has _ever_ sought to teach me. Just as I was taught
by parents, relatives, and my elders.

-- Russ Herrold