Re: [SLUG-POL] Offshore job movement

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 06:05:22 EDT

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 01:26, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Most of the arguments I've seen against offshoring are pretty specious,
> and really come down to, "It's not fair!" And most of the people who
> complain don't really say what they appear to mean, either 1) profit is
> bad, or 2) companies _owe_ employees.

I keep hearing about how we (the country) is so far in the hole. But
don't you think if alot of jobs, that are being sent offshore and not
just in Hi-tech, Hi-tech and manufactoring are only the begining unless
there is a stop to it. Were to stay here there would be more tax
dollors, I don't believe someone in India is not paying income tax.

> Second, businesses don't _owe_ employees. More precisely, businesses owe
> employees whatever they agreed to when the employees signed on, no more.
> That could be salary, benefits, day care or whatever. Beyond that,
> corporations don't owe employees anything.
Well maybe the don't owe us anything as employees. But if we don't have
a means of income, (we all can't be managers) Who is going to buy there
products? I believe with the large unemployeement figures now. We are
seeing this to a small degree now.

I'm not sure how many new cars, boats or trips to Disney a person
flipping hamburgers can manage.

Business move things overseas to save money as you said. But it's not
the salary so much as the other savings the company sees. It's no income
tax to pay, no FICA, no building costs etc. But if the trend continues
there will be a lot of jobs no longer her in the US. Sometimes what is
right of the business bottom line. Is not always the right thing to do
in the long term. Sure you numbers look good for this year and the share
holders are all happy. But the long term maybe much worse than you
think.

So what will everyone do that worked those jobs? I guess we could all be
stock holders in overseas companys, Oh wait you need money to buy stock
:) I guess the only jobs here will be, gas station attendents, burger
flippers, healtcare and goverment (well maybe goverment I guess it could
be run from offshore also). There sure will be lot of highly degreed
workers working at those places. Will the want adds in 2015 read.

"McD's needs hamburger flippers. Must have a Masters Degree in Dinning
Science. Be willing to work day, evenings, weekends and holidays. Pay
$5.00 no Benefits "

> Paul

I'm hoping by 2015 I'll be retired so I won't have to worry about
where,how or when I will have a job. :)

Mike M.