Re: [SLUG-POL] US slaps tariffs on Asian fish and microchips (fwd)

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:42:01 EDT

swbuehler@yahoo.com wrote:
> Look for certain memory prices to shoot up soon.
>
> SWB

Interesting, but these are just tiny ripples on an ocean of bullshit.

Ask yourself, when every shoe, every shirt, every hammer, every
television, every vcr, every.... is made offshore, why are we
suddenly upset about catfish?!

I don't have the answer. But if I wanted to dig into it, I would ask,
"Which state(s)/district is big in farming catfish?" Is there a
Republican senator or congressman who's in trouble in the next
election?

As for Korean memory....a cynic (not me, of course) might suggest
that you check the tarrif rates in six months or a year, and find that
they are unchanged. Perhaps somebody was setting up a major
Korean/USA deal and they needed a hammer to bring the Koreans
into line.

If we saw increased tarrif rates across the board, then I would
think that somebody is finally closing the barn door (too late, of
course). But these individual items are just ripples.

Strictly MHO, of course.

John