Re: [SLUG-POL] Offshore job movement

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 14:44:07 EDT

> He builds a table out of what? He had no assets.

I think you're being picky, now. Give him $100 worth of lumber then,
and add $100 to the world's total wealth. What difference does it make?

> to create the table. And if you're going to count his _unsold_ table
> under assets, then you have to count Bob's program. Theoretically, Bob
> could turn around and sell the program to someone else for that $10,000.
> Jennifer, using only her labor, managed to create a $10,000 program out
> of nothing.

I addressed that in my later email. Programming is an activity that
sometimes produces tangible resaleable products, and sometimes doesn't
(for instance, when programmers are fixing y2k problems). It was a
bad choice, I confess. I was simply trying to give it more relevance,
but I was wrong to do so.

Therefore, in my other email, I listed "pure" services: After you buy
a haircut, you can't resell it, after you buy a meal at a restaurant,
you can't resell it, after you stay in a hotel room, you can't resell
it, after you watch a broadway show, you can't resell it.....do I need
to go on?