[SLUG-POL] Re: [SLUG] music without guilt - legally

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:22:43 EDT

This post has also been written to SLUG-POL; if you wish to reply, I
suggest we move over there.

> The fair use law allows recording and sharing as long as you don't charge
> for it.

Hmmm, that's hard to believe. If I didn't charge for it, I could
distribute a million copies of the latest hit CD? Sounds
interesting--where can I read about that?

> You can still burn a copy of your CD and give to me (at no charge).

Again, hard to swallow. I notice that you're not using the phrase,
"for personal use". Doesn't that come into play?

> As far as going after people recording, they already do through a virus
> which cripples your computer and is (by agreement w AntiVirus companies)
> not detectable by your AV s/w. Kazaa, f.ex. is highly infected.

Now I'm really confused. It's ok to copy and distribute copyrighted
material, but it's not ok to record it on the internet? As for
crippling your computer, I did read about Senator Hatch having that
fit of insanity, but I think they immediately increased his lithium
before he could do much more. (I sure hope so!)

> Pursuing people recording in any other way is not feasible. They cannot at
> the current rate prosectute all the sharing violaters for two thusand
> years. (See slashdot today/yesterday.)

I'm not sure I see the point of this, insofar as whether it's right or
wrong, legal or illegal.

John