Re: [SLUG-POL] top posting

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 20:00:09 EDT

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 16:35, Logan Tygart wrote:

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Actually, that little Q & A is what prompted my posting. If you
regularly read a chapter a night in a book, wouldn't you prefer to have
the book start at the new chapter each night? Obviously not an option
in a book. However, after all, we aren't reading books. We have the
ability to put the latest information in our messages right at the top
for the readers to enjoy without looking for it down at the bottom of
the page. It appears that I have been shown not to be alone in this
matter. Perhaps those that we tolerate scrolling for could tolerate our
putting messages at the top without making comments about how annoying
we are?

I read the uk doc you refered to and it appears that the only valid
arguement it makes is for a) people that come in to the middle or end of
a discussion and want to read the old posts and b) people that repost
large running discussions without snipping. I'm usually not "a" and
when I am, I don't have a problem scrolling down to read old posts and
"b" is a seperate subject. Ironic thing is that if your argument is
that of being the "a" person, you probably want a little abuse of "b"
since you're wanting to read the previous comments. The less snipped
out, the more you understand about the thread since you have not been
following it.

Larry

PS See how nicely I bowed under pressure and didn't top post! Doen't it
just give you a nice fuzzy feeling?