Re: [SLUG-POL] top posting

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 00:02:51 EDT

> There are also reasons for
> top posting, but I suspect those mostly have to do with the convenience
> or inconvience of specific people.

Or maybe it's because people who use one-to-one email a lot are simply
used to top-posting. If you live in a world where everybody uses
top-posting all day long, you might do it out of habit, and you
certainly wouldn't think it was bad manners!

Or wouldn't you agree that top posting is the clear standard in
one-to-one email? Every support desk I've ever used seems to
top-post, and they never snip anything--there's usually a long trailer
of reversed messages below. I know for sure that I would certainly
use bottom posting if that's what they did (hey, I want the support,
so I want to comply with their system!)

Every individual I've ever emailed with uses top-posting. Every
business contact. I honestly can't remember seeing regular one-to-one
email where somebody bottom posts--I'll keep an eye open for it from
now on.

So I suggest, maybe some people are just simply used to doing it the
top-post way.

(BTW, I think that the in-line point by point situation is a whole
other issue. If someone is replying to points and decides to
interleave their comments, that's a judgement call depending on the
task to be accomplished)

John