slug New List Host

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 21:44:44 EDT

SLUGs:

(You may get two copies of this message. Don't be upset. I sent it to
both the announce and main slug list to ensure everyone gets it.)

As a result of the recent outage on the SLUG list host, I received
offers from quite a few people to host the SLUG lists. I've been
reluctant to move the lists for years, because my requirements were
fairly stringent for a list host. Briefly, I wanted a local company that
ran Linux and had the experience, resources and willingness to handle
the lists without difficulty (and for free ;-).

One of the offers came from a local company called Networked Knowledge
Systems (NKS). They are a group of engineers who specialize in Open
Source solutions, and are assisting us with the upcoming CTS show in
May. Some of their members have recently been active on the list, giving
good advice. In addition, they have a good working relationship with
PriceWaterhouseCoopers, where we hold our Tampa meetings. After
observing how they work and asking them numerous questions, I believe
they are a good fit.

So I've moved the lists over to NKS.

Actually, at this point there are _two_ of each list, one still
operating at Owl River Company, and the new lists at Networked Knowledge
Systems. For a limited time, the Owl River Company lists will still
operate as a backup. But please change any references you have from
owlriver.com over to nks.net and post only to the new lists. The links
on the SLUG website have already been changed.

Our website (http://www.suncoastlug.org) is still at Owl River Company
and will remain there for the time being. Russ Herrold and Owl River
Company (http://www.owlriver.com) are warmly thanked for all the
assistance and for ably hosting our lists for the last several years.
Russ is subscribed to the new lists and will hopefully continue to
provide excellent assistance.

If you're interested in learning more about NKS, see their website at:

http://www.nks.net

Also, my thanks to the others who volunteered to host our lists. Your
offers are appreciated, and I've filed the information away should we
need it in the future.

Hopefully, the list switchover should go without a hitch. If not, let me
know. And don't forget to change over any list-related email addresses
you have on file over to nks.net.

As usual, comments are welcome.

Paul M. Foster
President