Re: [SLUG] Kernel Memory Question

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 00:44:40 EDT

Ed Centanni wrote:

> When I take a look at /proc/meminfo (kernel version 2.4.0 (4GB RAM
> enabled) I find that almost a third of my RAM is classified as
> "Inact_dirty". Does anyone have a good explanation of what this means.
> The kernel source code "fs/proc/proc_misc.c" gets this value from
> K(nr_inactive_dirty_pages).
>
> Please -- no porn site jokes.
>
> TIA
> Ed.

This might not be of much, but have you checked out O'Reilly's Book on
the Linux Kernel (I believe it's called "Linux Kernel Internals")? That
might have some info. If you can't get to it soon I'll see if I can find
out something for you netx time I make my usual Barness and Noble
Hermitage ;)

P.S.
Can you post your /proc/meminfo file? I'd like to compare some notes
I've been looking at.

P.P.S.
Long shot, but here goes (this is why I left it for last):
Do you have this message during bootup?

"Kernel command line: keepinitrd"

If so, you might want to remove keepinitrd from your CONFIG_CMDLINE
string.

Again, this is a long shot that I'm not wuite sure applies to this
problem.

Norb