[SLUG] RE: southbridge

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato@gte.net)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 07:15:00 EDT

I can't take the machine back because I built it. I did double check the
power supply with AMD and made sure I got what they recommeded. I also
bought the motherboard to go with the AMD Duron chip. (all information
came from the AMD web site). I then double checked that information with
the recommnedation from FIC the maker of the mother board. I have two hard
drives on the same IDE channel, one as master and one as slave, with the
cdrom and zip drive on the second channel with cdrom as master and zip as
slave. I download files to the zip disk and then install from
there. Maybe that's the problem. I did have a friend of mine who builds
machines for a living check out my setup and he didn't find a problem.
      I am beginning to think that my Western Digital HD is the real
culprit. I installed a new drive at the same time as changing the
motherboard and cpu, (added more ram, used existing video board and
existing modem). Someone had mentioned that western digital sometimes has
a problem with linux. Going to have to check my email for that.
   Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have my friend double check
it. (he's not familiar with linux, just winblows). Thanks again. I'll
let you know what I find out.