[SLUG] Cheap Box

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato@gte.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 00:52:06 EDT

I just rebuilt my old PII 300, to a Duron 850. I bought a FIC motherboard
for $99 and the Duron 850 processor with heat sink for $90, both from an
auction house (Ubid.com). I then purchased a new power box $40, and a 256
MB 133MHz ram chip ($90 with rebate) from a local store. I used the same
modem and video (Voodoo 3 3000). The mother board had a sound chip in it
and since we don't do a lot of gaming that was OK. I can always disable
the chip and put in a sound board at a later date. So for less than $400
dollars I now have a faster machine and can always upgrade the CPU to an
Anthlon 1.2 GHz later. I bought the pieces as I could afford them so it
took about 6 weeks.

I did have to flash the BIOS because the motherboard had a VIA 686B
southbridge, but I accomplished that (thankfully with help from everyone)
and now I am running a dual boot with no problems at all. Oh, and I added
a 40GB WD ATA100 drive and got rid of my 6.2 GB drive.

Thanks for everyones help with the BIOS. It runs great now.
Moe