[SLUG] RE: Linux vs FUD

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato@gte.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 01:37:14 EDT

I am a newbie to Linux. I readily admit I have a h--- of a lot to
learn. But I switched to Linux from Windows for the following reasons.

1. I was repeatedly spending money on Windows for support. Most of the
money went down the drain because there tech support didn't have the
answers or there just were no answers.

2. I was tired of the blue screen of death. I lost untold number of
files, parts of files, and even system files, just by shuting down windows
the way they wanted it shut down. (That's when it would shut down without
freezing)

3. It became a task just to deal with windows on any level. I have
amassed more books on the registry files, dummy books, secrets of windows
books, (I do love books, but only if they actually contain info that is
useable or a really good scifi book)

4. I was forced into windows when software dealers quit making DOS
software. I didn't have a choice!!! NOW I have a choice.

Linux for me has put the fun back into computing. I am not a big
programmer type, maybe a few small home use things, that's it. Basically I
am a desktop user. (I always used Lotus SmartSuite, refused to use
microsoft office). I am learning something I want to learn. I am not
forced into one solution for my computing needs. I have all kinds of
choices, and if I don't like them I can play with the code and rearange
things the way I want them. And lastly. ....... If there is a problem
with secuity, I don't have to wait years (or never) to get the fix. Within
hours, or at the worst a day or two, the fix is there to have, without
additional fees attached. I love it even when I have a problem or
two. Linux can actually be fixed without having to back up everything and
reinstalling everything.

Sorry this is so long but the question was asked, so I answered. Moe