Re: [SLUG] RH 7.1 & Address Book - Thanks & Up Date

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 09:40:01 EDT

This has got to be a wee bit daunting.

As some of you are aware doing a RH 7.1 installation I tried to partition the
hard drive into 5 partitions modled after advised placed on the list but
unfortunately I checked the install box of format. Well after 4 days of
formating I gave up on that shut the system down and installed Mandrake 7.2
to clear up the hard drive problems. It appears that normal installation
without partitioning is 3 partitions. I tried to make it 5. Mandrake said I
had 4 and I was unable to make Mandrake 7.1 create partitions. Anyway after
installing Mandrake I reverted to RH 7.1 trying to install with 5 partitions
again formating only 1 partition. You have to format one to continue the
installation. Not certain but I think I got it that time.

After installation I discovered I had Netscape, Mozilla, and Kong for
browsers.

Netscape does not appear to work correctly as the post further down this page
indicates but looks and appears to be the same old thing.

Mozilla
appears to be nothing but Netscape with a modified appearance. You can
imagine my supprise when I clicked on the big M - they changed the big N in N
icon in Netscape to a big M icon in Mozilla - and was transferred to Netscape
central and AOL. Yes AOL look at the address.

Kong appears to be similar with a few slight differences. The back arrow
does not shift you back to the previous page visited but gives you a listing
of the directory for the current page. Nice screw-up/feature that should stay
but you really do need back and forward ability in a browser.

Kmail still does not have a address book. Yes there is a listing of address
but that listing hardly qualifies as an address book.

Colors and appearance. As one or two of you are aware I am slightly color
blind - I can not tell aviation white from aviation green on the search
lights and there are certain shades of brown and gray that are the same
color to me so do hold me tightly to this evaluation. Personally I like the
colors of the default settings of KDE in Mandrake 7.1. The default settings
for KDE in RH 7.1 look washed out to me. As far as Gnome goes I do not like
the default settings in either Mandrake 7.1 or RH 7.1. In both cases lines
and edges look blurry not crisp and sharp.

Thanks
Frank