Re: [SLUG] Re: Brigitte and Ramiro

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 12:01:38 EDT

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Bpreece wrote:

> It sounds a bit rough but you should check around. It is not that bad any
> more in the days of new.
> Also it is possible to build a budget box for $200.00 and up.

Less than that ... This week, I assembled parts. I bought:

 10 x 32M 72p EDO simms $240
 2 x Compaq P-133 with onboard NIC, 6 x 72p slots, true Intel
processor, onboard video, dual IDE controllers, 3-1/2 floppy
and cabling $ 50
 2 x WD 1.6 G IDE drives $ 54
 Latest Red Hat ISOs, burned on media bought with 100% rebate
                                 $ Free

.. Result for the $344 -- two full feature hosts to stick at
my COLO facility or a customer's site -- Fully licensed under
the GPL, BSD, Artstic and related licenses:
                                 $ Priceless

-- Russ

P.S., Contrarywise, a customer just bought a new Win 98 2d
edition, and Office 2000 Small Business in a Gateway chassis
onsite where I admin -- When they plugged it in for the first
time, it was assigned a DHCP IP lease address; it tried to
send several Multicast broadcasts off-facility [blocked at the
firewall outbound, and logged] -- that lease range is blocked
from external access.

There are parts of that site's network I do not administer, in
which I have seen the legacy closed-source proprietary
applications running on discrete hosts, and know the
authorized license counts -- They are !=

It got me thinking of the analogy of a car theft -- Am I
facilitating improperly, like a chauffer, or less immediately,
like a service station that sells fuel, to the thieves?