Re: [SLUG] Re: Brigitte and Ramiro

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 22:59:53 EDT

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:55:44PM -0400, Brigitte wrote:

> First of all, thanks for the informative post. Actually, I already have an
> old computer which I'm trying to install Linux on, so hardware is not my
> problem, although I never got far enough with an installation to have sound
> or be connected to the Internet, nor have I ever gotten a printer to work
> .. but that's OK, I just want to learn the basics first so I can control
> the system rather than having the system control me. To respond to a few of
> your comments:
>
> >Well I am not sure why you assume this? In fact you need nothing on your
> >system
> >to install Linux. In fact I always load from a clean drive with no
> >partitions. Whic means
> >No "WINDOWS"! Also most distros will even automatically set this up for you
>
> I assume that because in my Mandrake manual, the section about "creating a
> bootdisk" .. which I needed to do because I had wiped out Windows and
> couldn't get the computer to boot from the CDROM .. Mandrake instructs me
> that "the CDROM contains all the files needed to do so" .. really now?!?
> and for "collecting information on your hardware" it instructs me to:
> "right-click on the MY Computer icon, .." perhaps I'm missing something,
> but I found it very frustrating to be told to use Windows to get the help I
> needed. Incidentally, I did eventually get Mandrake installed, only to have
> the automatic configuration assume that I want to be looking at a "Windows"
> lookalike, only this time I have no clue where to start. Mandrake
> documentation is poor for a beginner and I still say there needs to be a
> distro for a "real" beginner who wants to learn the "operating system" ..
> not more distributions which look like Windows.

Ah, there's the problem. Mandrake's manual is written on the assumption
that you are already running Windows. Fact is, most or all distros can
be installed with or without Windows present on a machine. And bootdisks
can be created without Windows as well.

There are no distros for real beginners in the way you mean.
Windows-like appearance makes the Windows users feel less insecure, but
like Windows, insulates you from the operating system itself. Worse, if
you learn how to get around using the GUI on one distro, that
information may not translate to the next one you use. That's why old
timers advocate learning the command line; cp, mv and the rest are on
_all_ distros.

If you really want to learn Linux, buy a book like "Running Linux". Read
it while in front of your console, and experiment while you read.

And you can always ask questions. ;-}

Paul