Re: [SLUG] GGRRR (not really Linux related)

From: ramiro souto (rsouto@juno.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 12:01:20 EDT

Dear Windblows patient:
In the morning
Take two computers with Windblows installed on them.
Using a bootable Linux diskette format both hard drives (make sure this
is done one after another one).
Install Linux on both machines.
Rest.
Call me in the morning.
The Linux psychologist.
Tux

On Wed, 9 May 2001 19:13:13 -0400 Glen Canaday <tuck@acer-access.com>
writes:

> <rant>
>
> I'm *really* trying to keep my attitude about M$ under wraps. I work
> at a
> software company that sells a program that runs only on, you guessed
> it,
> Windows. I just got a copy of the source to this program today
> (under NDA, of
> course) and the damn interface is written in VB 3!! This is a
> thousand dollar
> app and that lazy ******* programmer didn't even have the decency to
> use MFC
> so that the interface can be changed as the program evolves. The
> Visual C++
> ide he used's environment is modeled after a Unix environment -
> proof can be
> found by the simple use of make and quite a few matching command
> line
> switches which I bet at least 80% of those who code apps for Windows
> never
> even notice. This code is wrought with gotos and lacks even the
> least
> explanatory comments. I wanted to port this as it would fill a hole
> in Linux
> that's not likely to be filled by anyone else any time soon, but to
> do that,
> I'll have to rewrite 60% of it from scratch. I'm not even sure I can
> do it
> now. If the Windows developers write in a style anything like this,
> it's
> amazing they have not been sentenced to life in an oubliette, so
> they can
> stew over what wrongs they have commited against the software
> development
> community for all eternity.
>
> </rant>
>
> I think I'm ok now.