Re: [SLUG] Tonight's Presentation

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 19:01:38 EDT

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 11:38:12AM -0400, edoc wrote:

> How long is the video?
>
> Any chance we might view it at the next NPR meeting?
>
> If you were to characterize in a few words the essential message,
> what would that be? (e.g. IBM sees an opportunity to make money,
> they want to poke a sharp stick in Microsoft's eye, they see Windows
> falling on its face soon and want to be the heir apparent, they needed
> something cross-platform and Linux was the only game in town worth
> investing in)
>
> Thanks! Doc

Oooo, I like _all_ of those!

Aside from _what_ IBM is doing and _how_, the why is essentially this:
IBM wanted to be ahead of the curve on this one. They've missed the boat
several times, and here was a case where they could see the writing on
the wall with regard to Linux. One other important point: IBM has no
interest in Linux on the desktop. That's not what they're pushing.

As for the video, I'd guess it was a little over an hour. Someone is
duping copies, so I imagine we can probably get one.

HTH,

Paul