Re: [SLUG] Finding Hardware Info

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 23:06:19 EDT

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:18:28PM -0100, Chris wrote:

> I would like to find out information about the installed components in a Linux machine. I'm looking for the kind of detailed information that the System, Device Manager tab in windows provides. Video card memory, CD speed, that kind of stuff. Is there a way to get similar information in Linux. I'm using Red Hat 7.0.
>
> Thanks

I don't know of a GUI way to do this. Check for documents on the "proc"
filesystem. This is a virtual filesystem (not something actually on your
hard drive) that resides at /proc and represents much of what the kernel
knows about your system. It has a variety of "files" in it that you can
view. For instance,

cat /proc/interrupts

will tell you what interrupts are in use, and often by what devices.

Paul