Re: [SLUG] GGRRR (not really linux related)

From: Travis Walls (twalls@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 18:42:21 EDT

NO FLAMES PLEASE!

I just got a new 1 GHz athlon and tryed to install linux on it. I was not
impressed. I
mean Ive used linux for 4 years now and never had MAJOR problems but this
was
ridiculous. Red Hat 7, Caldera 2.4, and Mandrake 7.1 won't install. First
none
could find my ATA/100 card so i had to switch to ATA/66 to get it to work.
Next,
It would not finish installation on RedHat and Mandrake. Caldera finished
but
crapped out on first boot! It plain froze. Now heres where it gets really
scary:
Windows Me has run on this machine for a month without rebooting serving as
proxy/printer server/file server/network firewall/gaming system. Of course
it did all
this at same time. Usually I find myself running Nintendo 64 emulators on
top of
firewalling/proxy software. I also share printers and files. I also have an
average of
10-20 browser windows open. and when i have work i have word2k open. and
just for kicks ill open adobe photoshop on top of all that. i still find an
average of 70%
resources free! yes i know its sickening and i would like linux on my main
system but
i still use it on my laptop :) all i know is i have the only system in
existence to love, yes
love windows me. (no i dont worship satan :) well just thought i would share
my odd
story.

bye all,
Travis