[SLUG] Lucent Win Modem

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 20:41:11 EDT

My friend David who attended the recent NPR SLUG is still struggling to
get his build-in Lucent Winmodem to work -- according to Compaq it
cannot be disabled to allow a pcmcia modem to be substituted. Arghh!

He has Linux Mandrake 8 Kernel 2.4.3-20 MDK1 on his Compaq Presario
XL111. Lucent 56k v90 pci winmodem.

I found the following encouraging resources online for him but am not yet
knowlegeable in Linux to make a very useful effort to make it happen.

Anyone out there willing to either walk him through this via the Internet or
get together with him and his laptop and do a hands-on? Or could someone
gather together the bits and pieces needed and meet him at the next NPR
SLUG ... sure seems a long time away when you want to get a machine
running! :-)

You may reply to me, or to him directly (better) dgerner@welcomehomecc.com

Thanks! Doc

http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/tp390e/
Lucent Win Modem
At first I reckoned this was a piece of pure deadweight, but now -- saints
be praised!
-- it works fine under Linux. I'm not sure who at Lucent we have to thank,
but a
binary-only driver has filtered its way out: linux568.zip (you'll probably
want to
check that this is really the latest version available, at
www.linmodems.org.)
The driver was compiled for Linux 2.2.12-20 (some RedHat invention?). I find
that it works OK with kernel 2.2.13, although you have to insert the module
with
"insmod -f ltmodem" (i.e. the force option) to get around the mismatch
http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/tp390e/ltmodem.html.
I have also tried it with linux 2.2.16 and it didn't work; in fact it
crashed the system.
Christoph Hebeisen has a workaround for using the ltmodem module with newer
kernels. You may want to give it a try, but don't ask me about it! I keep a
copy
of 2.2.13 on hand for the relatively rare occasions when I want to use the
modem.

NEW: Try this page for info and sources for compiling the LT modem module
for
later kernels. Looks good, though I haven't actually tried it out yet.
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/

Linux Support
Updated support Jan '01 - The LT modem can be used in many Linux systems
with the appropriate driver. Linux "support" first appeared over a year ago
with a binary driver release (no source code) based upon generic version
5.68.

The lack of source code presented problems as it would only compile into
specific kernel versions. Currently, a Linux version based upon generic 5.78
is available*, and works with later kernels.

For the latest and best information on the LT & Linux (as well as other
software modems and Linux), see /sean/linux/stodolsk and www.linmodems.org,
and join the DISCUSSION list [to get e-mail] and/or use the archives to stay
abreast of the latest developments.

A page by Allin Cottrel on getting the IBM Thinkpad 390E to work with Linux,
including the bundled LT modem, is at the Wake Forest University site.

* - The Linmodems.org site has version 5.68 which works only with specific
kernel versions; Info on 5.78 can be found in the linmodems.org discussion
archive where you will find things like:

Have you looked at the half open/half closed lucent driver? You might be
able to hack something into working there...
  http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/ltmodem-5.78c.tar.gz