Re: [SLUG] Playing mpeg movies on Linux

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 01:57:09 EDT

Ed Centanni wrote:

> What's the best software to use. I tried RealPlayer and got an error.
> DvdView played video just fine but no audio. aKtion played the video
> badly -- un-usable and no sound. Can't find a Netscape plugin at the
> netscape site.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Ed.

There are a few that I use and that I find work VERY well. gtv is a
pretty good one, but I find that the lack of size options (only original
and double) gets in the way sometimes (especially in my laptop, where I
can't resize too well). There's a commercial one that I'm not quite sure
the name of - I believe it's mtv (at least that was the command) and you
can find it on the Mandrake page, I believe, if you feel like
re-buolfding an ROM or - better yet - finding the page and posting it on
the list (I've been trying to find it and no lock, but I know it's out
there!). The KDE media player is also pretty good, but it tends to read
the times incorrectly and has the nasty habit of switching files on you
if you press stop (it can sometimes even hang on a file, which I find
INCREDIBLY annoying). Overall, I recomend gtv. The netscape pluggin is
tied to the mtv program which I find to be the best.

tell us what you find, I'd be interested.

Norb