Re: [SLUG] Tonight's Presentation

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 21:38:45 EDT

patrick wrote:
<snip>

> in this day u better have some powerful to replace else with.
> Linux is quite powerful. i just read the other day that some
> guy that used to work for microsoft has been messing
> with the kernal and has has 3x performance increases in
> some areas with it. he even mentioned wanted to write
> some code for Linux, hopefully the kernal. isnt that cool

<snip>

NO IT'S NOT!

Microsoft would dearly love to be able to claim that some part of the
Linux kernel was "stolen" or adapted from their proprietary ideas or
code. I really don't want ANYONE who has ever seen any part of
microsoft code to be working on the Linux kernel regardless of their
motives or expertise. It's just too easy for good lawyers (and MS has
plenty!) to create trouble with intellectual property issues. It's
unfortunate if someone with the best of intentions and who can really
make a contribution has to be rejected but the danger is real and the
freedoms we enjoy must be protected by keeping the kernel free from any
claim of non-original code.

Ed.