[SLUG] Install of Mandrake 8.0 very easy.

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato@gte.net)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 17:52:42 EDT

I have only been with Linux about a year so am definitely a newbie. I just
installed Mandrake 8.0 (ordered disks from linuxcentral). Only had an
install disk and an extension disk and had problems with the extension disk
during the install. It would not recognize the second disk as installation
disk two so had to do it manually after the install.
Anyway, I was very pleased to see that it recognized everything, both hard
drives, the built in sound chip, the video card, the zip drive, even my
modem. The only problem I have is when on line the modem stalls a lot, but
had that problem with 7.0 and with SuSE when I was playing with that distro.
It was extremely easy to install and I have not had any other
problems. This would be the distro I would recommend to people coming over
from the other OS, (winblows).

I use my machine as a desktop mainly. My programming ability is enough for
me to write a few small programs for my collecting hobbies. I do some
graphics for the county fire department benevolence and CISM team, but
nothing drastic. Now if I could just get my games to run in Linux I would
permanently and forever GET RID of winblows.

I am running a home built AMD Duron 850MHz, with a FIC motherboard with VIA
KT133B, two Western Digital hard drives, one 10.4 GB, one 40GB, both
ATA100, one internal Zip 100, ActionTec 56K modem, and a built in Sound
Blaster chip. Three fans, one the heat sink that came with the Duron chip,
one on the back wall and one pci fan. 512 MB SDRAM PC133.