Re: [SLUG] Apache and CGI

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 16:10:11 EDT

CGI allows Apache to start up a shell and passes the name of the script
to the shell as a command (also provides the environment). The shell
runs the script, then Apache sends the standard output to the client
browser. You need to have both read and execute permissions set on the
script as well as the #! line at the beginning of the script so the
correct interpreter is called.

I think you've said that your perl scripts work. You might want to try
this: change the extension on your perl scripts from .pl (or whatever
it is) to .cgi, then see if the perl script will run. (This assumes
that you have a perl interpreter outside of Apache.) If it does, than
something is wrong with your other cgi scripts. If it doesn't, than
Apache isn't set up for .cgi files. The latter doesn't make as much
sense in your case, because if Apache doesn't know that the file is
intended to be a script, it will still send the file as text (you will
see the script's text in your browser) and you haven't mentioned that
you see this.

-Robert