Re: [SLUG] IRC - Questions

From: Mark (mark@bish.net)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 17:40:06 EDT

I was on there and I saw the conversation drop to something that high
schoolers might say. Now, that's great there is a #slug channel but if
you are going to curse and generally act like an idiot I don't need to go
to IRC to see it and the people I work with don't need to see it on my
screen.

I'm not being rude - I'm upset that someone set this up, said, "Hey come
on out and participate." and then doesn't have the decency to act a little
grown up when people show up. Then I get an email today saying, "Why
isn't anyone using it?"

We tried this 3 years ago at the LUG I was president of and it didn't work
out like anyone wanted because:

1) People don't have the time
2) People don't get to really know one another like they do at meetings
3) Email is much easier and faster
4) A vast majority of people like to lurk and that is harder to do in IRC
5) And personally, I'm less likely to expose my little brother to people
   cursing and acting like idiots if I bring him to a meeting instead of
   getting him on IRC.
6) Emails can be saved into a searchable archive unlike IRC where you end
   up answering the same question over and over again.

The original post of this thread made the assumption that since I reply to
email that I should be able to hop on IRC - when the two are vastly
different. I could keep going on but I'm sick of typing and you are all
sick of reading. Let the thread die. I will not be replying anymore to
this thread on this list. Email me personally if you have any questions.