Re: [SLUG] Linux vs FUD

From: Smitty (76543a@mpinet.net)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 19:25:12 EDT

That was me. The policy is that the OS must be open source as well as
any communication or encryption software. The reasoning behind that is
this: Data security can be compromised by a bugged or trojaned op sys.
Data that is transmitted can be compromised by a bugged or trojaned
communication or encryption program. If you have the source code to
audit, and particularly, if you compile the op sys or program from the
source code, checking the hash of the code against a trusted figure, you
most likely have a foundation for a secure system. The rest involves
configuration, keeping the apps and kernel updated, etc.
Smitty