Re: [SLUG] New computers - need opinions

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 11:18:47 EDT

On Saturday 19 May 2001 11:33 PM, Norbert Cartagena wrote:
> Hey guys. I'm buying a computer for someone as a gift and would like
> some opinions as to the system that I'm getting. I've narrowed them down
> to two (both barebone kits - I already have some parts) sets of
> hardware. Here are the stats:
>

> KIT PRICE: $252.98
> AMD PROCESSORS ----------AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 650MHZ SOCKET-A OEM
> SOCKET A MOTHERBOARDS ---SHUTTLE MS21 SOCKET-A SOUND, VIDEO
> SDRAM 168 PIN -----------64MB PC133 GENERIC SDRAM 168PIN
> SOUND CARD OPTIONS ------PCI SOUND INCLUDED ON BOARD
> VIDEO CARD OPTIONS ------AGP VIDEO INCLUDED ON BOARD
Bad Choice If your video card is not fully sported then you will have
problems. With an on board video you do not know if it is fully supported or
not and equivalent to is not equal to. If you need details I will discuss my
experiences.
> OPTICAL STORAGE ---------(Already have CDROM)
> MASS STORAGE ------------(Already have hard drive)
> NETWORK ADAPTERS --------DIAMOND SUPRAMAX 56K V90 MODEM
> FLOPPY DRIVES -----------TEAC FLOPPY DRIVE 1.44MB
> COOLING PRODUCTS --------COOLERMASTER 1.33GHZ SOCKET CPU FAN
> CASE --------------------ELEVATION 3X5.25 3X3.5 MEDIUM TOWER ATX
> POWER SUPPLIES ----------300 WATT LEC ATX POWER SUPPLY
> MICE & TRACKBALLS -------(Already have mouse)
> KEYBOARDS ---------------(Already have working keyboard)
>

> KIT PRICE: $241.99
> INTEL PROCESSORS --------CELERON 633 FC-PGA OEM
> SOCKET 370 MOTHERBOARDS -TRANSCEND TS-ASL3 815E ATX VIDEO ,SOUND
> SDRAM 168 PIN -----------64MB PC133 GENERIC SDRAM 168PIN
> SOUND CARD OPTIONS ------PCI SOUND INCLUDED ON BOARD
> VIDEO CARD OPTIONS ------AGP VIDEO INCLUDED ON BOARD
> OPTICAL STORAGE ---------(Already have a CDROM)
> MASS STORAGE ------------(Already have hard drive)
> NETWORK ADAPTERS --------DIAMOND SUPRAMAX 56K V90 MODEM
> FLOPPY DRIVES -----------(Already have Floppy)
> COOLING PRODUCTS --------CPU SOCKET 7, A, 370 & FCPGA FAN & HEAT
> CASES AND CHASSIS -------ELEVATION 3X5.25 3X3.5 MEDIUM TOWER ATX
> POWER SUPPLIES ----------300 WATT LEC ATX POWER SUPPLY
> MICE & TRACKBALLS -------(Already have mouse)
> KEYBOARDS ---------------(Already have Keyboard)
>

> I'm mainly wondering about the Modem (DIAMOND SUPRAMAX 56K V90 MODEM)
> and the Motherboards - does anyone know how well these work under
> GNU/Linux? Any opinions/suggestions are welcome. Frankly, I thought this
> was a decent price, but if I'm wrong PLEASE CORRECT ME! ;-)
Price is not everything. If you can not make it work then all you have
succeeded in doing is spending a lot of money for something that does not
work.

> TIA
>
> Norb

Norb:

I just built a machine.
Most of the parts were obtained from Thompson Computer Warehouse
(www.tcwo.com)
with a few exceptions. You can get a very good video card from a place on
Flower and 22 Street. The one on the back alley that does printer repairs for
around $50.00. Modems on the other hand are another story. I put a 3 Com
(later purchased by USR) in my first computer and have the data sheets on how
to install that modem in a linux computer. USR does not have these data
sheets for some reason or the other. Any way I purchased the PCI version for
this box but I have not install it yet.
The mother board is MST, processor K7.
A biggie is the case. I got the nice big case. I can work on the computer
without killing myself. Better than the small cases by far.

If you do not like that setup then I would suggest that you take a look at
"Xcomputing".
I just went to their site to get their URL for you and found that they had
been sole to Micronux http://www.micronux.com.
Anyway they formally listed several very nice linux boxes at very cheap
prices.
I was considering buying one but decided I would learn more about computers
and consequently know what I had if I built one instead.
The major point was that this gave me a list of component parts to work from.
One word of caution just because it is listed on the compatibility list does
not make it fully compatible.

If you need more details of what I have I will try to help.

Thanks
Frank