Re: [SLUG] reKall

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 17:26:02 EDT

patrick wrote:

> On Sunday 20 May 2001 01:58 pm, you wrote:
> > patrick wrote:
> > >
> > > whats that
> >
> > Remember you asked!

<snip>

> ok, but if they are in effect not creating a new database but a connection
> for all the databases that can combine with KDE. isnt that a good
> thing. if all the data bases can be run through KDE isnt kde the
> main desktop for linux home users. shouldnt this bring some power
> to the desktop.

It is a good thing.. so good that we already have it. KDE doesn't need
any help with database access. KDE is a desktop environment. Please
don't confuse it with a database application. KDE can run just about
any application that runs under X. That means that just about any
existing database application that runs under X can, as you say, "run
through KDE". The screen shots on the site look quite similar to
pg_access, a tcl/tk app that runs just fine with KDE, Gnome, and even
Windows without modification.

With the exception being applications that are specifically desktop
environment oriented, I prefer not use use apps that depend on a
specific desktop environment regardless of which one. I'm suspect of
the motives of the creators of such applications because, with a few
exceptions, it doesn't have to be that way. I insist on being able to
choose the app I use AND the desktop environment I run it on.

Now if TheKompany is creating an pg_access-like app that can access a
wide variety of databases I say "Good!". If it's open source(and
remains so), "Excellent!". If it's not tied to a specific desktop,
"Fantastic!".

What the site really appears to be is just such an application -- a sort
of MS Access clone for KDE. Not a bad idea really, but don't be fooled
into thinking that they're bringing database accessibility to KDE. That
doesn't make sense.

Ed.