Re: [SLUG] Looks like another distro is going...

From: patrick (patrick@llc.net)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 00:12:14 EDT

On Monday 21 May 2001 10:26 pm, you wrote:
> Bpreece wrote:
> > Mandrake was just advertised in the sunday best buy flyer
> > I do hope we stop loosing these distros

its their source of income. somebody must have screwed up
big time for them not to be in the stores if they announced they
would be

> Note, however, that this doesn't mean this distro is gone. Remember when
> SuSE had to scale back a big portion of their US offices? They're still
> the leading European Distro, but just scaled back in the US. Maybe they
> just grew too big too fast and need to scale it down a bit.

at the time that suse scaled i believe they held the biggest percentage
of sales in the u.s. remember they were the first to have kernal 2.4.
i never believed they scaled back in the u s because they had to.
i have always kinda thought they wanted to.

> Which brings me to an interesting observation; it seems to me like the
> trend is starting to be that countries have an almost "national flavor"
> of GNU/Linux - save for the US (almost). I mean, think about it -
> France/Mandrake, Germany/SuSE, Brazil/Connectiva, US/RedHat-Debian
> (mostly), Canada/???Corel??? (I think OpenBSD has a bigger share there,
> or maybe it's just their most famous/notorious export) - and some seem
> to find their homes away from home, like Japan/TurboLinux. Has anyone
> else noticed this or is it just me? Could this become a major trend? Is
> it already such? I mean, it's a bit of a generalization that I just
> made, but you get the drift, right? Of course, there are those Distros
> which are completely transnational - Debian for example (Kondra TRIES to
> be), as well as the nano-distros, like LRP. Any thoughts on this?

i do believe this. if the distros are located out the of the u.s. then
the u.s. government cant control them. i actually beleive that
microsoft is behind the scenes trying to convince the government
that the u s cant have much of an economy without microsoft. and
also not so behind the scenes.

and also i believe that Mandrake just started this classes thing
on the internet a little while ago. if they were in trouble i dont
believe they would have done this. its an expense.

the only thing i'm wondering about is why they dont have their
mandrake 8 in the stores when they said they would. something
is wierd.