Re: [SLUG] Problem...

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 19:03:08 EDT

Anita Pesola wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have found a problem. I'm in KDE and I can't mount any drives
> (including my Winblows drive) without locking up the desktop. I don't
> know if it has been because of the problem with the virus (which has
> been resolved) or what it is. I can use some direction....
>
> Anita

Test to see if it's not something deeper first:

Bring up a Konsole window and type the following (> being your prompt)

>cd /mnt
>ls
(listing of contents)
>mount /mnt/<device>

<device> should be replaced by something like "floppy" or "cdrom" or
"hda1" or "c" or whatever (sans quotation marks) you have in there (they
are your mount points for your devices - your other drives and stuff).
If that tells you something like "resource busy, could not mount" then
try

>cd <device>

If it is not mounted and you still can't mount it then please post the
messages you get.

Oh yeah, before that, check to make sure it's not just a problem with
KDE. Login to Gnome instead and try the same thing. If you can do it in
Gnome and not in KDE, then it's deffinitelly a problem with KDE. If you
can't do it there, then It's deffinitelly a problem somewhere else
(probably in the /etc/fstab file, but possibly - hopefully not - in the
/dev directory).

Please post what happens. I've gotten problems like this before and know
they can be a Yeti to track (the Yeti being much more elusive than the
bear ;)

Norb