[SLUG] Peace, Love and Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 23:46:34 EDT

Those of you who made it to the last meeting in Tampa saw a slide of
IBM's sidewalk grafitti: The peace sign, heart and penguin that are
being used in the ad campaign for Linux.

When I saw this, I wondered who would let IBM paint up their sidewalks
that way.

Well, the answer is no one. This was apparently done in 105 places in
the Chicago area by a guy who was doing it at the behest of IBM. But
Chicago was apparently not amused. They charged IBM $18,000 (the fine,
plus $50 a piece to clean up each defacing). The fellow who did the
actual deed was sentenced to 30 days of community service.

I can only imagine what the guy was paid. I'm sure it was quite a hefty
sum. And the fine is miniscule compared to the publicity I'm sure it
garnered.

Looks like someone at IBM read that Guerrilla Marketing book. ;-}

(I got this from the 21 May issue of ComputerWorld.)

Paul