Re: [SLUG] Procmail question or mail in general

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 11:11:12 EDT

Michael Manchester wrote:

> I would like to thank everyone that responded. That's
> what I love about the Slug group.
> I have one more question. Does Netscape have to be up
> and running for it get my mail? I'm guessing it would
> have to be.

Yes. However, I believe if you use something like Balsa (I'm not sure
about Evolution), I think that by merely having Gnome running you get
your mail. Either way, the easiest and fastes way to go about this is by
doing Netscape.

Here's the step by step.

1) Go to EDIT -> PREFERENCES...

2) In the PREFERENCES... window that pops up, expand MAIL AND NEWSGROUPS

3) Set your identity in the IDENTITY menu

4) In the MAIL SERVERS Menu, go to ADD and put the server name
pop.mail.yahoo.com (you said you were using Yahoo!, right?). Then add
your username (mchester) and the intreval in minutes that you want to
check your mail at. Back in the ADD menu, set your "Outgoing Mail" Mail
to smtp.mail.yahoo.com and set your "outgoing server username."

5) Go through the other options and place your setting how you want.
Really, all that is left is newsgroups and "fluff": ie - "do you want
HTML formatting", " Do ou want to recieve receipts"... blah blah blah.
Either way, you're pretty much done.

The first time that you try your account you should ger a propt for your
passworrd. Put "remember it always" or something like that, and You're
set to go.

WARINING - In my experience, when you have Netscape Mail running for a
REALLY long time, it's been my experience that Netscape Mail tends to do
some quirky things, like lose your pass word and start asking you for
it. Not that it will necessarily happen to you, but it might prevent
your getting your mail after a while. YOu'll want to try out netscape
for a few days, running it continuosly to see if that happens with your
version.

Or your could try another mail client. Really, you have all the info you
need right here (smtp and pop3 stuff). All you need to do is *pop* set
all the settings and you're done. Maybe you can try something a bit
steadier, like Kmail? Wanring, though, Kmail sometimes explodes if
packages are too big (like 4 megs and higer). But, you can try what you
wish.

Norb