Re: [SLUG] www.suncoastlug.org

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 11:34:47 EDT

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Bill Piper wrote:

> I am new to the group and was attempting to access www.suncoastlug.org
> to learn of the time and location of the meeting/show. I was suprised to
> see the home page for Owl River Company. I ran an nslookup on
> www.suncoastlug.org and the ip address returned was 198.30.29.42. ping
> -s 198.30.29.42 = new.owlriver.com?

This is the way http 1.1 namevirtual hosts work -- the browser
sends the domain name of the website it wants as part of the
query, and the server then returns the correct content --

This was required by IANA a couple of years ago as a response
to a preceived IP depletion problem (the prior practice was to
assign a unique IP to each domain -- all major web-browsers --
wget, lynx, konquerer, ... oh yes, and netscape and internet
explorer -- support http 1.1

Should be up now.

-- Russ