Re: [SLUG] Re: Digital Camera - Linux Compatible?

From: BlitzK (xenu@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 16:19:40 EDT

> Ok, so I'm out of my mind? It's an excellent camera, and floppies are $3
> for 10.. I have no problems with it, it takes better pictures than any
> other camera I have seen. It also supports wide angle, and many other
> features, so I must ask where you became so informed as to how I could
> be out of my mind for owning one.

You only get 1.44mb per floppy, many good digicams can take pics with much
larger size than 1.44mb. The picture quality isn't that great. The time it
takes
to save is slow. It sucks down battries. It has a moving motor/drive so it
is more
prone to failure... etc etc etc...

> > Wouldn't it be easier (and faster) to buy an external (smart/CF) card
reader
> > that works with linux? Just take the card out of ANY digicam and stick
it
> > in the reader... Who cares what the kind of camera it is...
> >
> > You can get these readers for $20 and up
>
> What's the difference, I have an added benefit, I'm not limited to a
> system that requires a smart reader, nearly all computers still have
> floppy drives, why not use them?

You have to carry about 100 floppies to get the same size storage as ONE
(128mb)
 sm/cf card that is less than 1/8 the size of 1 of your floppies.

The only good thing is you can take it to anyones computer... That wouldn't
bother me,
or most people at all. If that was really an issue you can get an adapter
to bring on the
road.

I won't clog the list up with any more digicam talk, this is the last reply
about this...