Re: [SLUG] Vendor Specifics

From: Todd (trunnels@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 10:48:25 EDT

First off let me say there is no "standard" for linux...There is a tiny
group of people pushing for standards to define "compatible" linux
distros....Will it ever happen? Probably not. Why? Because basically right
now there are basically 4 standards which all other distros are based on or
around: Debian and Red Hat being the biggest, and then Slackware and SuSe
basically doing thier own thing for their own distro. Why is stuff built
specifically for red hat? Well its the old thing that people want someone
to sue when something goes wrong. That makes Red Hat which is one of the
most visible and biggest linux companies, the most popular for enterprise
level applications. Then you add in the fact that you have mandrake- one of
the easiest distros for newbies- which was originally based ON red hat and
now is compatible with red hat. Will the standards that the tiny group is
pushing for ever make it? Nope....Why not? Because each of the 4 competing
groups believe that they ARE the standard and everyone sould do as they do.
That kind of thinking sound familiar, maybe similiar to M$? Well thats
human nature folks....everyone wants to be the best.

Just my two cents,
Todd