Re: [SLUG] WinXP calls back to Microsoft (fwd)

From: Steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 00:20:47 EDT

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 23:50, you wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:31:19PM -0400, Russ Herrold wrote:
> > I am back at my office -- here is that piece with a trace of a MS
> > box phoning home.
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm wondering:
>
> 1) How would one find out what blocks of IPs are owned by Microsoft?
> 2) What would happen if you blocked _all_ those at your firewall?
>
> Yes, I know you wouldn't be able to surf microsoft.com and msft.net. Big
> deal. But what other problems?
>
> Paul

Easy. Do a whois on their domain names. Go to arin.net and enter the ip and
see who owns it. You will now be armed with good info on what to block.

While you are doing the whois you could use nslookup or host to do a zone
transfer from their dns and see how much they have, and do an even better
block...

Steve