Re: [SLUG] Thank you for the Show!

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 20:00:48 EDT

Derek Glidden wrote:

> Norbert Cartagena wrote:
> >

> > concept to grasp, but it's free" and the such. And frankly, I don't
> > think I have so much fun as when I speak to someone who hears that MS is
> > NOT the only game in town and decide to switch (yes, having diplay
> > computers at hand is VERY helpful). Ahh... feeling like I did a service
>
> There was a guy I wound up talking (arguing) with the second day who,
> despite the people milling around, dozens of computers running Linux,
> piles of Linux CDROMs to give away, magazines, brochures and slicks,
> still insisted over and over and over that Microsoft had "the best
> mousetrap" and "this Linux thing" just "wasn't going anywhere" despite
> years and years of "hype"... A couple of you know who I'm talking
> about...
>
> I guess some people will just never get it.

Yeah, I know the guy you were talking about. He also claimed that W2K
never crashes (obviously he's never worked with Win2K in a networked
environment of any sort). These are the same people who think an MSCE is
a HARD thing to get (of course, I'm comparing it to an RHCE and CCNA,
but that's another matter ;).

At any rate, we got WAY more good reactions than bad, so I'm glad -
especially when we handed out the SuSE "LiveEvals." People were glad
they didn't have to wipe out their hard drives to try GNU/Linux.
Frankly, I wish we had some of the DemoLinux CDs (I think they're WAY
better than the SuSE LiveEvals), but hey, it's all good. Now, if they
finally decide to wipe out their HD and put Linux on it... :)

P.S.
Thank you, Derek, for teaching me that cool screensaver/backgroud trick.
For any of you that weren't there, open up a console window and type the
following:

<path-to-screensaver> -root

Ex: /opt/kde2/bin/kmatrix.kss -root
Ex: xmatrix -root *if it resides in /usr/bin

Enjoy :)

Norb

Norb