Re: [slug] [SLUG] DNS management.

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 10:35:27 EDT

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Mauricio J. Borgen wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good GUI for managing DNS? I was going to use webmin.

GUI and reasonable management rarely mix well -- webmmin has a
root exploit at the moment -- Please -- ONLY in a non-internet
environment

> Also anyone have experience in managing a Linux DNS server with over 500
> hosts records?

yes

If you have what DNS package did you use and did you like
> it.

Honebrew proprietary -- and currently in revision for bond-9
changes -- runs off a flat file -- written in really nasty
perl -- I have it, and it builds proper formard and reverse
zones, handles MX's properly, CNAMES, and multiple master and
slaved DNS serer ... really icky -- not recommended, except
there's nothing better -- I've tried all listed at freshmeat
-- the one in the new RH 7.1 is a first draft joke, not up to
the real world.

-- Russ