[SLUG] 5GB lasers and Linux LVM

From: herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 13:02:50 EDT

Fun piece -- crossposted

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Jack McKinney wrote:

> Remember that line in Real Genius? Something like:
>
> Mitch: "Wouldn't it be worth it to see a 5GW laser fire, just once?"
> Chris: "It'd be nice..."
>
> Well, I got to experience a brief euphoria last night. I finished
> building a 7x36G U2W SCSI array for work, and I wanted to make sure that
<snip happy story of Linux LVM and monster arrays>
> Sigh. The drives are already back at work, ready to install. However,
> I am saving up to buy a nice 7bay SCSI enclosure with a SCSI-3 68 pin, 7
> device/2 endpoint cable, to which I will be adding SCSI drives as I get
> them.

... you need not dream --- the Evil Empire wants to help you.

I bought on Ebay for maybe $150 from a off-lease reseller, a 40
month old (from the datecodes) HP Net Server Rack Storage/8 -- 8
hotswap SCSI SCA drive bays --

It is a dual redundant hot-swappable power supplies, a redundant
dual SCSI ported external drive controller -- delighted to eat
drives from 1 G on up to the latest 72G monsters --with LVM running
just fine off the hottest controllers Adaptec has to offer.

How does the Evil Empire come into the picture, you might ask? The
asset accounting tag on the unit reads: "MS Asset" and a partially
obliterated barcode. Another tag from MS indicates that it was
bought under their PO 536321, Asset No 334619, Serial Number
SUS73600123, Date 01/15/98 --

... to paraphrase a recent ad campaign for some software company I
saw in TV recently -- "The drives and chassis are not lonely; they
do not miss their old applications; they are readily adaptible --
completely happy with their new operating system: Linux"

-- Russ