Re: [SLUG] Solicitation of opinions

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 22:26:17 EDT

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:41:13AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 12:37:34PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > The biggest problem is that NOBODY FREAKIN' SUPPORTS IMAP. I swear, I
> > > can only believe that email client developers only own ONE machine from
> > > which they do all their work, which must be some fancy-schmancy laptop
> > > they can take with them everywhere they go, so only supporting POP isn't
> > > a big deal. In a given week, I might use one of any of half a dozen
> > > different machines, so if my email can't be kept on my server and _any_
> > > client I'm using at the moment be able to read it from there (i.e. IMAP)
> > > the client, AFAIC, is utterly broken.
> > >

> > I don't really understand IMAP, but can't you use POP to drop your mail
> > onto a central server and then view it from your machine? And can't you
> > also save the mail to that server?
>
> Yes but No - POP is a very onomotopaeic protocol. It "pops" the mail
> right off the server and onto the workstation that is running your email
> client. You can use the "leave mail on server" option that most POP
> clients have, which will leave the mail message in your INBOX on the
> server as well as make a local copy, but that only helps in that you
> still have the email in your INBOX.

<snip>

Okay, I went out and did some research on IMAP at www.imap.org. I get
the idea. So if you POP'd your mail down to server Alfa, then ran an
IMAP server from that machine and IMAP clients from Bravo, Charlie,
Delta, etc., you could have something similar to what you envision. The
only difference I can see is that your mail would be served from a local
server rather than an ISP's server. IMAP would allow you to keep your
mail, process it, store it, etc. on that local server (Alfa).

Does that sound right, or am I missing something about IMAP?

Paul